COVID-19 Update - How you can Help
Now more than ever, the Annual Fund is Horace Mann School’s greatest philanthropic need. Annual Fund contributions from our loyal donors are making a tremendous and immediate impact affording HM the flexibility to respond adeptly to the most urgent, ongoing operational needs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Current efforts include:
- The swift implementation of our dynamic and comprehensive virtual learning initiative, HM Online. Students are finishing the year by attending their classes, practices, and extracurricular activities via video conferencing and recorded instruction from the safety of their own homes. Faculty were encouraged to be creative with use of new software and online applications to enhance their lessons.
- Guaranteed salaries and benefits for the rest of the fiscal year to all faculty and staff, including Facilities Management and Public Safety personnel, custodians, and dining service workers. Nearly 80% of all tuition revenue is applied toward faculty and staff salaries and benefits, our largest annual expenditure.
- Unbudgeted technology costs associated with furnishing laptops or iPads and internet access to our students in need so that all HMers can successfully continue their education with equal access to HM Online.
- Increased and new requests for Financial Aid. For the 2019-20 academic year 14% of students received financial support totaling $10.1 million in tuition financial aid and an additional $700,000 in non-tuition aid (lunch, books, etc.). As we prepare for the 2020-21 academic year, we must address the demand for increased financial assistance, which has exceeded our budgeted allocations.
If you are in a position to give, please support HM’s Annual Fund. All gifts are appreciated during these uncertain times.
Our Alumni and Development Office staff are working remotely. If possible, we ask that you make your gift online by credit card or by stock or wire transfer. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for stock and wire instructions. If you prefer to send a check, staff are in the office once a week to process gifts sent by mail. For the duration of the school closure, we will send all donors gift acknowledgements and receipts via email.
About the Annual Fund
The Annual Fund is the School's yearly campaign to raise funds in support of the daily operating budget. All independent schools are faced with this same need - to make up the difference between costs and tuition. Contributions help to close this gap that exists between tuition and the actual cost of a Horace Mann education. The Annual Fund touches all aspects of the School as it represents 8% of the overall operating budget. The caliber of the HM experience greatly depends on the resources available to the School. The size and flexibility of the Annual Fund ensures that there are adequate resources every year to enhance and sustain Horace Mann's distinctive margin of excellence.
Gifts to the Annual Fund are restricted to:
- Enhancing the breadth and depth of the academic and co-curricular programming that have always been hallmarks of a Horace Mann education.
- Attracting and retaining the finest faculty and staff while maintaining low student/teacher ratios.
- Augmenting financial aid to secure a socioeconomically diverse student body.
- Sustaining the operation and maintenance of the school’s four campuses.
Through the Annual Fund, programs are strengthened and faculty and staff are provided with the tools necessary for students to learn at the highest level both inside and outside of the classrooms. Financial aid is enhanced and more solidly embedded as a core strategic element of our commitment to academic excellence, opportunity creation and leadership development.
It is our hope and expectation that all members of our community will share this responsibility and choose to support Horace Mann School at whatever level they are comfortable.
To make a donation to the Annual Fund, click here