Applying to Nursery Threes, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten
The application for the 2023-2024 school year will be available via Ravenna Hub in late August. The family portion of the application is due on November 17th, 2022.
Families who wish to submit a late application for the 2022-2023 school year may do so Ravenna Hub. While fully enrolled, there are sometimes openings that become available in the spring or summer. Contact the admissions office with questions.
Families interested in learning more about Horace Mann School are encouraged to attend our in-person and virtual events in the fall.
This spring, on April 27th at 12pm, HM will be presenting via the Parents League Fair. Families can register for the fair at the link above.
Appointments are self scheduled via Ravenna.
Applicants for the 3's, Pre-K and Kindergarten will be able to schedule their child's interview and their parent interview via Ravenna Hub. These are separate appointments taking place at different times.
This year, the admissions process for entry for the 2022-2023 school year at HM will be conducted remotely. As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, we believe that facilitating the process online is the best way to keep our student body safe and our prospective families safe.
Families who are interested in applying to Horace Mann School should begin the process one year prior to their desired entry date.
For Nursery Threes through Grade 5, we have a strict September 1st birthday cutoff. For the Threes program, children must turn three by September 1st of the year they wish to enter. For Pre-Kindergarten, children must turn four by September 1st of the year they wish to enter. For Kindergarten, children must turn five by September 1st of the year they wish to enter.
For Kindergarten and Grade 1 applications, Horace Mann School, in partnership with Riverdale Country School, requires an online assessment for applicants for kindergarten and 1st grade. HM and Riverdale will cover the majority of the cost of the new assessment for families. As a result, the family portion of the new assessment is $50 for kindergarten applicants and $150 for 1st grade applicants. Applicants will receive the results from the assessment. Information regarding the assessment is down below in our application process section.
The reason that Horace Mann School is requiring an assessment and an interview with our office is so we can have multiple data points to help make our decision instead of one meeting.
The details for the Zoom interview will be sent to families after they register for their appointment on Ravenna.
1. Submit and pay for the application
Deadline: November 17th
- After submitting the online application you will be taken to a payment page. The non-refundable application fee is $60. This fee is reduced to $25 for families that will be applying for Financial Aid; enter partial waiver code HMFinAid2021 when prompted in the Ravenna system.
2. Optional: Upload photograph to the application
Deadline: January 15th
3. Schedule the Admission Assessment - Required for Kindergarten & 1st Grade. Horace Mann School is working with First Look Insights. First Look Insights is an independent testing organization working in consultation with Horace Mann School and Riverdale Country School in order to provide additional information on the applicants that apply for Kindergarten and 1st Grade. While a piece of the application process, the assessment is not the only piece of the process. Please read the First Look Insights FAQ to learn more about the assessment and register to take the assessment here.
Deadline: Test results must be received by January 15th
4. Attend the virtual interviews
- Nursery Threes and Pre-Kindergarten:
- After submitting and paying for your application, schedule your child's interview through the Ravenna Hub platform. The child's interview will take place via Zoom. A parent or caregiver must be present. The parent interview will take place at a separate time, also via Zoom. Zoom information will be sent a few days before your interview. We are asking that families not record the Zoom session.
- After submitting and paying for your application, schedule your child's interview through the Ravenna Hub platform. The child's interview will take place via Zoom. While the parent or caregiver must be present we will ask that they remain off screen during the session. The parent interview will take place at a separate time, also via Zoom. Zoom information will be sent a few days before your interview. We are asking that families not record the Zoom session.
5. Request that the Confidential School Report be sent from the child's current teacher - Required for Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten only
Deadline: Must be received by January 15th
- Parents may submit their request online to their current school via Ravenna Hub for the school to fill out the Horace Mann Confidential Report.
- Schools may submit the ISAAGNY Confidential School Report if they prefer.
6. Optional: Submit a parent statement introducing your child to us
Deadline: Must be received by January 15th
- Submit the parent statement via the Ravenna Hub platform.
If you are applying for financial aid, you must submit the required materials by November 17th.
- Go to our Financial Aid page for more information.
Please check on your application status in early January to confirm that the application is complete.
The file must be complete by January 15th for the applicant to be considered for admission.
We notify families of the admission decision in the first two weeks of February.