Applying to Nursery Threes, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten
The application for the 2020-2021 school year is available via Ravenna Hub. The family portion of the application is due on November 15th, 2019.
Applicants for the Kindergarten process should know that the child's playgroup and parent interview take place concurrently. Appointment are self scheduled via Ravenna.
Applicants for the 3's and Pre-K will be able to schedule their child's playgroup and parent interview via Ravenna Hub. These are separate appointments taking place on different days.
Families who are interested in applying to Horace Mann School should begin the process one year prior to their desired entry date.
For Nursery Threes through Grade 5, we have a strict September 1st birthday cutoff. For the Threes program, children must turn three by September 1st of the year they wish to enter. For Pre-Kindergarten, children must turn four by September 1st of the year they wish to enter. For Kindergarten, children must turn five by September 1st of the year they wish to enter.
For Kindergarten and Grade 1 applications, Horace Mann School requires the Admission Assessment for Beginning Learners (AABL). For more information about our decision to require the AABL, click here.
1. Submit and pay for the application
Deadline: November 15th
- After submitting the online application you will be taken to a payment page. The non-refundable application fee is $60. This fee is reduced to $25 for families that will be applying for Financial Aid.
2. Optional: Upload photograph to the application
Deadline: January 15th
3. Schedule the Admission Assessment for Beginning Learners (AABL) - Required for Kindergarten & 1st Grade.
Deadline: Test results must be received by January 15th
- Go to the AABL page on the ERB website to schedule the exam. For more information about the AABL, please see the AABL Quick Facts Guide and the AABL What to Expect Guide.
- Families applying for Kindergarten or Grade 1 who apply for financial aid are eligible to receive a fee waiver for the AABL. If you are a financial aid applicant, after you have submitted your application for admission, please submit your request for an AABL fee waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your child's full name and date of birth. A representative from the admissions office will be in contact within 48 hours to assist you. Please note that this applies only to the AABL; fee waivers are not available for other admission tests.
4. Attend the playgroup/interview
- Nursery Threes and Pre-Kindergarten:
- After submitting and paying for your application, schedule your child's playgroup through the Ravenna Hub platform. The child's playgroup will take place at our Lower Division in the Bronx, and a parent or caregiver must be present. The parent interview will take place on a separate date at our Lower Division campus in the Bronx. Parents will have an opportunity to tour the Nursery Division in Manhattan during a separate time.
- After submitting and paying for your application, schedule your child's playgroup through the Ravenna Hub platform. Playgroups take place at our Lower Division. The child will be in a playgroup while the parents have a separate interview.
5. Request that the Confidential School Report be sent from the child's current teacher - Required for Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten only
Deadline: Must be received by January 15th
- Parents may submit their request online to their current school via Ravenna Hub for the school to fill out the Horace Mann Confidential Report.
- Schools may submit the ISAAGNY Confidential School Report if they prefer.
6. Optional: Submit a parent statement introducing your child to us
Deadline: Must be received by January 15th
- Submit the parent statement via the Ravenna Hub platform.
If you are applying for financial aid, you must submit the required materials by December 1st.
- Go to our Financial Aid page for more information.
Please check on your application status in early January to confirm that the application is complete.
The file must be complete by January 15th for the applicant to be considered for admission.
We notify families of the admission decision in the first two weeks of February.